Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

11 Down, 25 to go

Initially, I wasn't planning on including these books in my count...but, I think I will just to help me out :)

They are books really for the pre-teen and teenage kids, but I am reading the series to Jaden...so...here is what I thought of the first one. We finished it a little while back and we just finished the second one, which I will post soon as well.


The Door in the Dragon's Throat (Cooper Kids Adventures (Crossway Paperback)) The Door in the Dragon's Throat by Frank E. Peretti


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I am reading this book to my son as he is not quite old enough to read it on his own. I picked it up specifically for he and I to do together as good father-son time...and I had read some of Peretti on my own and really enjoyed it.

This was a great book for the pre-teen and early teen set. I think that finding an author who can tell a story and interest the kids while also keeping characters biblically minded might be difficult, but Peretti did a great job of it. He pulled up just a few scriptures but wove it into the story line and had the characters act like normal people that have a strong faith that they rely on...maybe it is a little overdone in spots, but with the age range that this is intended for, I would not expect subtlety to reign.

So, neat locations to engage kids in thoughts about geography and alternate cultures....check.

An entertaining story...check.

Something that ultimately shows that good defeats evil...check.

A biblical perspective that keeps truth in the forefront...check.



A book and a series that I will enjoy with all of my sons?... Check :)




View all my reviews.

No comments:

Search This Blog