Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

The written note

Just a quick note for posterity...
I love my grandmother and I love the notes she still writes to us.  Below is the cover of a card she sent to Kristen and I not long ago and within it was a handwritten note on all the available space within and on the backside of the card just to encourage us, ask after our lives, and inform our family of what was going on with her.

It is really an awesome thing to get.  I mean, who doesn't still get a kick out of getting mail that isn't a bill, an advertisement, or whatever other kind of junk you normally get?

It is a treat...a rarer and rarer privilege in a day and age that sees more and more text messages, emails, voice mails and even video calls and messages.  To get a handwritten reminder that someone cares about you and spent the time to write to you is now an infrequent activity.

Now, to put this into context, I can't even tell you how many people she most likely tried to keep up with like this...she has children, many grandchildren, great grandchildren, friends, siblings, etc.  I imagine that she invests significant time in doing this each day and week...and that is one more reason why I cherish seeing them.

Makes me wonder that despite my horrific penmanship, who might like to see a note from me this week?

No comments:

Search This Blog