Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Another book

I may have to read another biography on Grant based on reading this book. I found that I had things in common with Grant that intrigued me. I know that to a certain extent we always put ourselves into books to identify with the characters, and I am sure that is part of it...but I could tell (at least based on Korda's impression/interpretation of Grant) that he had similar traits to myself in several capacities. Since times have changed and I didn't go to West Point, I doubt I will ever be in the military, go to war, or become President, but I also dislike cigars and hopefully will not die from throat cancer when I am only 63 years old...as to all the places I found similarities...I may have to write on that more...


Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero (Eminent Lives) Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero by Michael Korda


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a very short biography, but very readable and enjoyable. I have not read any other biographies of Grant yet and this one was a great place to start. I think that Korda did a nice job of piecing together parts of Grant's life to give us a nice picture of who he was, what he was driven by and to a small extent, how things ended up as they did in Grant's life. And while the asides to current times or the comparisons so other presidents don't add to the story of Grant, they do make it more comprehensible to a non-history buff reader.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Search This Blog