Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Jaden and Easter Service

Capturing this for my memory sake...especially since I have relayed this to many already.
We went to Easter service on Saturday night this year due to a church request to make seats available Sunday morning. The difference was that they would only have toddler and infant care...so classes for kids over 4. Kristen volunteered for the nursery and took Jude, so I had Jaden and Jacob with me for service. When we arrived, I asked them where they wanted to sit, and they took me up to the very front row...right in front of the stage. We sat and both did very well as we got into the service. About half way through, Jacob had to go to the bathroom...so, I took Jacob out the side door, trying to mitigate the disruption as much as possible, and then came back maybe 5 minutes later the same route with Jacob feeling much better.
Well, during that time Jaden stayed in service and did a GREAT job. Not only did he handle himself very well, but he grabbed my notebook, looked at what I was writing down during the service and started doing that for himself with my pen. He had a full page of notes by the end of service! :) I was certainly proud of him, I think he was proud of himself and he got kudos from several people at church for his behavior and note taking after the service. In fact, even the pastor's wife, Sheila, pulled me aside to relay Jaden's actions when I left and how neat it was to see him emulating me.
It is both neat and slightly daunting from my perspective. God was working on me through this and through a passage that I had just gone through with my men's bible study the week before...in John 5:19 I read:
"19Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.""
As I read this, I wrote down in my Bible...what is it that my boys see me doing?! I am a powerful influence on them and while I know that...I stumble badly in setting the example I would like to with them each day. So, it was nice to see this be a good thing that I can hold onto that I am passing along to my boys, and hopefully it is a catalyst for that many more good things that I can pass along as well.

No comments:

Search This Blog