Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Map

The Map: The Way of All Great Men The Map: The Way of All Great Men by David Murrow


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Kind of interesting in the way that this book is set up....but I ended up really liking it. The book is divided into two sections; a fictional short story that gives a more current context to some of the points that Murrow makes in the second part of the book which is non-fiction and takes the reader through the "code" or "map" that Murrow believes is embedded in the gospel of Matthew.
So, what is this map? It is a path that all men can follow that helps them become the man that God wants each of us to become. To not only learn how to submit to God, but to be strong and even aggressive for what is right and ultimately sacrificial so that we will pass along what we have learned to the next generation.
While I am skeptical of "new" things that are discovered in the Bible, I do think that the visualization technique of the map and the related passages can help men understand some of the difficulties that we often find when addressing what it means to be a man and to be Christlike when some of the things seem to contradict.
Overall, I found this to not only be an interesting and easily consumed book (it only took me two days to read it), but I also found it to have some great points and insights that I will not only hang onto for myself but use as conversation points with others. It also is making me re-look at the gospel of Matthew through the lens of what he wrote to see things in a different manner than I may have in the past.
I would definitely suggest this book to any guy as a great book to read and as a good book to make you think more intentionally about your spiritual growth.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Search This Blog