Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Becoming more childlike


So, one of the things that has always driven my wife crazy is the way the kids scream around the house yelling "Daddy!" and then jump into my arms when I get home from being at work for the day. It is also one of the things that makes me smile the biggest.

For her, and rightly so, she says "How come they are so excited to see you and love on you? Where was the love, joy and happiness for me as I took care of them all day?"

For me, how can you not love your kids giving you that kind of joy?

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

So, we should embrace their joy and excitement. Not only embrace it, but change to become more like that ourselves.
We should do this daily and with intentionality.
For now, I fail at this more days than I am successful (ask my wife)(and it is especially hard for me because I am the only night owl in the family with a bunch of early risers.) But I am trying.
So, each morning I am trying to wake up with the right frame of mind...because it is easy to start the day with some negative thing immediately getting the best of me and if I succumb to that temptation, any chance of having childlike joy to start the day can easily go right out the window.
That is one side of this, but I think my wife has a point too that shouldn't be lost because I think she has given me a totally different perspective of their excitement:

She is always around, always caring for the boys and as such, the boys don't tend to give her that same joy and excitement. It's nothing new that mom is there...she is always there. Her presence is taken advantage of. (every mom out there insert your amen here)

That is where I tend to fall down in my excitement and joy with God too. He is always there, always taking care of me....so I tend to take advantage of that fact; much as my boys do with their mom. As they grow, they will appreciate her more and more. I am hoping for the same growth too.

No comments:

Search This Blog