Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Complacency

How do you not get complacent in things? Complacency is such a terrible disease that can affect absolutely everything in your life...marriage, job, parenting...everything. I know that I oscillate between complacency and having a drive to do something or a discipline to continue to do something even when I don't feel like doing it, but it really came upon me last night and this morning as I hear about difficulties with friends and family around me. How easy is it to say that things as they stand are good enough and not put the work into it? Or how easy is it to rest on the work we have done up to now and not continue to put in the effort? I think complacency is one of the worst diseases we have in the US because of how blessed we are materially...certainly our growing complacent generally will not impact whether or not we get to eat or even to buy the latest and greatest toys. We grow complacent in so many areas and are not appreciative of what we have or of each other.
Proverbs 1:32 says that the complacency of fools will destroy them. I know I will be thinking on that verse the next time I really don't want to do something I know I should.

No comments:

Search This Blog