Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Reaching for the Invisible God

"Love tend to decrease as power increases...The same power that repeatedly overwhelmed the Israelites made it difficult for them to perceive God's love."

Does that stop you in your tracks as a parent? As a boss? Does it resonate at all?
I certainly see some truth to that statement. I know that if I stand over my kids that they have to look WAY up to see me and that I am WAY bigger than they are. I intimidate them from that stance. Are they really seeing my love at that point?

I also pull back though and think of this from a different perspective that tells me that God knew that the Israelites would have this difficulty. And yet He still chose to engage them in this manner.
1. It is effective. How many times directly after God showing himself, His wrath, etc do the Israelites repent and turn towards God?
2. God needed to show us all of His character...the tough side and the loving side

Think about it...just like with two parents at home, kids know that one is easier than the other and gravitate towards the easy one to get out of the punishment. If the parents are not united in their efforts, the kids will divide and conquer.
If God just showed us forgiveness through Jesus Christ without the just anger and the consequences that are exhibited in the Old Testament would it mean as much? Or would we take it for granted? We really need to see both sides to understand and God was gracious enough to give us both views in His Word.

No comments:

Search This Blog