Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Interesting Blog Posting...

Pastor Lee McFarland says...
"One of my pastor friends is Mark Batterson (evotional.com). I love reading his blog because he always challenges me, gives me new ideas, and introduces me to fun new phrases. He recently used a phrase while we were panelists at Saddleback - he said something had spread by "word of mouse." Well, Mark, maybe I can return the favor. I got a phrase for ya.

Several months ago, he took a "lion chaser" step, and his church opened a coffee shop, "Ebenezers." It has quickly become "the place" in the D.C. area. Most of us would be happy about a coffee shop slash ministry outlet that was a hoppin' place. But Mark is now taking it another step, and hopes to franchise the coffee shop across the country. I love it. Maybe Surprise, AZ should be a new location.

It reminds me of an old article I read some time ago in Inc.Com by Rod Kurtz about the expansion of Aaron Kennedy's restaurant, "Noodles and Company." He explores the decision process related to franchising, and talks about ways to make a franchise successful. My favorite was their approach to assign any new franchisee a "Noodles Buddy" - a seasoned corporate manager who serves as a mentor. "They won't be successful if we just mail them a binder," Kennedy says.

We have come to the same conclusion when it comes to discipleship in our church. It doesn't happen with just a notebook, a class, or a binder. For a Christian to grow, you need a "Noodles Buddy." Colossians 3:16 says, "Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. Use his words to teach and counsel each other. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts." (NLT)

Who is your "Noodle Buddy?" "


Do you have a Noodle Buddy? I know I struggle with an accountability partner. I don't really have anyone keeping me honest with respect to my spiritual growth and my practices on a regular basis.

No comments:

Search This Blog