Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reaching for the Invisible God

Yancy speaks of our growth as maturation from child to adult to parent.
within being an adult, he talks about training...
"For twenty years I have run, biked, or done other aerobic conditioning at least three times a week. I do so not because someone forces me, and surely not because it feels good - it seldom does - but rather because of what it allows me to enjoy. I can climb mountains and ski the Rockies without gasping for breath or pulling muscles. That is the reward for physical discipline."

Obviously, he leads then into a need for spiritual discipline and the analogies to running a race that Paul describes in the New Testament.

Do you have spiritual discipline so that you can enjoy the fruits of that effort? Do you pray, read the bible, go to church, small group, etc? Do you do these things regularly?

I know my exercise routine over the last several years has been really poor. And that I stop and start and stop and start and then do it again. Each time I start...it is a bear to get going. It is always easy to quit. But, I haven't been sticking it out long enough to reap the rewards...I haven't established a discipline in my routine so that I will continue and I haven't done it long enough to see the rewards that will show up elsewhere.

Likewise with bible reading, prayer or anything else...start and stop and you will not see the benefits that you will once you have established discipline in your walk.

No comments:

Search This Blog