Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Reaching for the Invisible God

Yancey has a quote from Ron Hansen in this book...
"God gives us just enough to seek him, and never enough to fully find him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God."

What do you think of that quote?

I get the freedom part and I completely agree that freedom is a dear privalege that God bestows on us. Without free will / freedom, there is no real love.
And I understand that there is an element of faith to our relationship with God, thus the "never enough to fully find him" thing as well...
however...the part about "giving us just enough to seek him" WITH "and never enough to fully find him" strikes me as too "gamey". Like we are in a cosmic game of hide and seek. It's probably just me being too tired but that was the thought that just came to me anyway.

I don't think God plays hide and seek and really think that our sinful nature makes us turn away from what is fully apparent. It might not be God standing in a white robe with his foot resting across the entire breadth of the US just to make sure we realize He is there...cause I do think God wants us to seek Him...but, I don't think that he is cloaking Himself to us.

Wait you will say, you are being foolish cause God is invisible, so of course He is hiding himself. However, I would just as easily give you this example.

I had a college roommate that was a morning person and did crew. He would be up at a silly hour in the morning and go to bed very early. He had the top bunk, so I couldn't always see if he was in his bed or not. There could be weeks or more where we would not see each other at all, however, that never changed my belief that he existed. There was order to his stuff. There were changes that came about in the room and other signs that told me he had been around, even if I didn't physically see him. He wasn't hiding, I just didn't see him.

That is how I think of my ability to see God. I may not physically see Him, but I have no doubt that He is around.

No comments:

Search This Blog